Main Article Content
Objective: To evaluate the correlation between Brucella spp. blood culture, which is accepted as the gold standard in the diagnosis of brucellosis, and the Brucella coombs gel test (BCGT), a new and rapid test developed in our country.
Material and method: Brucellosis is suspected in 100 patients from various clinics of our hospital microbiology laboratories, simultaneous blood culture results (Bact/allert 3D bioMerieux, France) and serum standard tube agglutination test (STA Seromed, Turkey), Brucella Coombs gel test (BCGT, Islab, Turkey) It was evaluated retrospectively.
Results: Serology and blood culture growth were negative in 82/100 of the patients. STA/ BCGT results were consistent in 18/100, and ≥ 1/320 was positive. Brucella melitensis was isolated from blood cultures of seven patients and concurrently taken BCGT was positive (100%). There are 11 patients with positive serology with culture negative.
Conclusion: Although blood culture is accepted as gold standard, it is not always possible to catch blood culture positivity. Serology tests, especially BCGT, should be preferred routinely because it gives early results, is cheap and safe.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
2. Seleem MN, Boyle SM, Sriranganathan N. Brucellosis: a re-emerging zoonosis. Vet Microbiol. 2010;140:392-8.
3. De Figueiredo P, Ficht TA, Rice-Ficht A, Rossetti CA, Adams LG. Pathogenesis and immunobiology of brucellosis: review of Brucella-host interactions. Am J Pathol. 2015 Jun;185(6):1505–17.
4. Dean AS, Crump L, Greter H, Hattendorf J, Schelling E, Zinsstag J. Clinical manifestations of human brucellosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012; 6(12): e1929.
5. Araj GF. Update on laboratory diagnosis of human brucellosis. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2010;36:12-7.
6. Aliskan H. The value of culture and serological methods in the diagnosis of human brucellosis. Mikrobiyol Bul. 2008;42:185-95.
7. Vrioni G, Pappas G, Priavali E, Gartzonika C, Levidiotou S. Aneternal microbe: Brucella DNA load persists for years after clinical cure. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;46(e):131-6.
8. Maas KS, Mendez M, Zavaleta M, et al. Evaluation of brucellosis by PCR and persistence after treatment in patients returning to the hospital for follow-up. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2007;76:698-702.
9. Poester FP, Nielsen K, Samartino LE, Yu WL. Diagnosis of brucellosis. Open Vet Sci J. 2010;4:46-60.
10. ODAK Brucella Coombs Gel Test. http://www.toprakmedikal.com/urunler.aspx?id=4
11. İrvem A, Yücel FM, Aksaray S, Bor E. Comparison of a new and rapid method, Brucella Coombs gel test with the other methods in the serological diagnosis of brucellosis. Mikrobiyol Bul. 2015 Apr;49(2):181-7.
12. Hanci H, Igan H, Uyanik MH . Evaluation of a New and Rapid Serologic Test for Detecting Brucellosis: Brucella Coombs Gel Test. Pak J Biol Sci. 2017;20(2):108-12. DOI: 10.3923/pjbs.2017.108.112.
13. Koroglu M, Aydemir ÖA, Demiray T ,Erkorkmaz U, Özbek A, Altindiş M. Comparative evaluation of the Brucella Coombs gel test in laboratory diagnosis of human brucellosis. Biotechnology & Biotechnological Equipment.30:5, 970-5. DOI: 10.1080/13102818.2016.1190945
14. Turhanoğlu NM , Vural DG. The comparison of Brucella gel agglutination test with other Brucella tests Brusella jel aglütinasyon testinin diğer Brusella testleri ile karşılaştırılması. Dicle Tıp Dergisi. 2015; 42 (4): 422-26.
15. Kalem F, Ergün AG, Durmaz S, Doğan M, Ertuğrul Ö, Gündem S. Comparison of a New and Rapid Method: Brucella Coombs Gel Test With Other Diagnostic Tests. Journal of clinical Laboratory analysis. 2016; 30( 5):756-9.
16. Koçman EE, Erensoy MS, Taşbakan M, Çiçeklioğlu M. Comparison of standard agglutination tests, enzyme immunoassay, and Coombs gel test used in laboratory diagnosis of human brucellosis. Turk J Med Sci. 2018;(48): 62-7.