Main Article Content
Objective: Erdheim-Chester disease is a rare form of non-Langerhans cell histiocytosis of unknown etiology. It is a multisystemic disease that can involve bones, skin, brain, retroperitoneum, cardiovascular system, endocrine system, and lungs. Diagnosis is made by clinical findings, imaging results, and histopathological examination. BRAFV600E (B-rapidly accelerated fibrosarcoma gene) mutation is found in more than half of the cases. When Erdheim-Chester disease is not considered the differential diagnosis, it is not possible to diagnose and treat. In this case report, an Erdheim-Chester case with symptomatic, multisystem involvement, BRAFV600E mutation, and initiated vemurafenib treatment is presented in the light of literature data.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
2. Papo M, Emile JF, Maciel TT, Bay P, Baber A, Hermine O, et al. Erdheim-Chester Disease: a Concise Review. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2019;21(12):66.
3. Emile JF, Abla O, Fraitag S, Horne A, Haroche J, Donadieu J, et al. Revised classification of histiocytoses and neoplasms of the macrophage-dendritic cell lineages. Blood. 2016;127(22):2672-81.
4. Starkebaum G, Hendrie P. Erdheim-Chester disease. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2020:101510.
5. Abdelfattah AM, Arnaout K, Tabbara IA. Erdheim-Chester disease: a comprehensive review. Anticancer Res. 2014;34(7):3257-61.
6. Pan Z, Kleinschmidt-DeMasters BK. CNS Erdheim-Chester Disease: A Challenge to Diagnose. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2017;76(12):986-96.
7. Ozkaya N, Rosenblum MK, Durham BH, Pichardo JD, Abdel-Wahab O, Hameed MR, et al. The histopathology of Erdheim-Chester disease: a comprehensive review of a molecularly characterized cohort. Mod Pathol. 2018;31(4):581-97.
8. Goyal G, Heaney ML, Collin M, Cohen-Aubart F, Vaglio A, Durham BH, et al. Erdheim-Chester disease: consensus recommendations for evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment in the molecular era. Blood. 2020;135(22):1929-45.
9. Diamond EL, Dagna L, Hyman DM, Cavalli G, Janku F, Estrada-Veras J, et al. Consensus guidelines for the diagnosis and clinical management of Erdheim-Chester disease. Blood. 2014;124(4):483-92.
10. Fernández-Eulate G, Muñoz-Lopetegi A, Ruiz I, Urtasun MJBCRC. Vemurafenib as first-line therapy in BRAF-V600E-mutant Erdheim-Chester disease with CNS involvement. 2019;12(11).
11. Haroche J, Cohen-Aubart F, Emile J-F, Arnaud L, Maksud P, Charlotte F, et al. Dramatic efficacy of vemurafenib in both multisystemic and refractory Erdheim-Chester disease and Langerhans cell histiocytosis harboring the BRAF V600E mutation. 2013;121(9):1495-500.